Monday, October 13, 2008

Clicker

Clicker is a new tool used for continuous assessment in my university, on which there are several buttons, a bit similar like telephone number (0-9), and practically used for multiple choices questions. In the end of lecture (and hence of the slides), or sometimes in the middle, the lecturer will insert a few slides of questions regarding what he just explained some minutes before. After reading the question, he will give several seconds for you to answer it (there is a timer there plus a list of students' names), when you press first choice for example, your name should disappear from the list, indicating that you have answered the question. If you suddenly change your mind, you can simply press another button and it will be regarded as your latest or new answer, provided that there are still a few seconds before the 'poll', as it is called, is closed and the percentage of students' answers are shown immediately in a graph and finally the lecturer will tell the correct answer.

Err, actually I do not intend to write about this unimportant stuff, but just to give a brief idea how the new assessment is done, in addition to normal quizzes plus exam. In every one or two lectures there will be usually clicker assessment and each assessment contains 1-3 questions. Finally from whole marks you collect each lectures, this will be summed up and counted into your final score.

At the first time I heard about this, this subject seems to be a tough one, before I realized that that whole mark counted in this clicker assessment is only around five percent of your final score. From this small percentage, I just knew that it can be perceived in different ways for different students. One friend of my class sometimes asks me, and the others, how many Qs you answer correctly just now. For me, I don't care the marks I get, if I answer all correct, I don't feel any proud or anything, or if I answer all wrong, that's always fine, but for his opinion, if you count up to five percent, then if you get almost 5 percent, it will contribute much to your final grade.

This matters so much for him, and I don't think he is wrong, but I'm just surprised how he appreciates this small percentage of score, of each question, which may only contribute not even 0.2 percent to final grade. Moreover, the question sometimes has very close relation among the 2 choices. If you choose the first one, it is correct, but the second may be the best. Even sometimes the question is found in the slide right after the question (??!??!!!). I love this subject, and try to get the main idea of each lecture, then if I cannot memorize each detailed points just mentioned, I don't want to force myself to memorize everything mentioned, because I know I cannot. Even if you get it correct, does not mean you understand, but the expert student can still also fail in several Qs.

It's just a matter of different perception about how each students think how he learns every subjects. I just can conclude that he is a type of person who always tries to do everything perfectly, as I want to in past, but soon I realized it's not my type of studying. I am still on my own way, but next time I may have to try harder to get better mark, like he who always has incentives do get high score, even from a small portion =D

No comments: