Saturday, November 22, 2008

My Top 3 Web Sites

Living in a small but lovely place far from mall shopping center etc etc outside, without televisions inside room, stuck me in front of fast internet connection. Hmm, it's not so fast, but it's really fast enough for chatting, browsing, or even gaming, but for downloading, you must have a lot of patience while downloading a movie or music album. This reminds me of being aware of piracy, haha...

Then internet is the only easiest and most accessible media for my entertainment. And these are some websites I will surely visit everyday, at least twice per day. I want to post more but am right now too sleepy to put more. I wish I can do it next time ^^ I will just put the top three first.

I'm not a programmer or computer developer, these are some of my personal comments on each sites. Why need it? I visit it hundred times and may have my time on each accumulated hundred hours, so I hope you guys can really make your choice whether to waste your time on unimportant things. These are very personal comments so don't be angry if you are a lover of that website, because so am I ^^

1. Gmail

That is today's new homepage of GMail.com
Gmail is simply a mail service website like other familiar websites like Yahoo! or Hotmail.
The first time I create an account on gmail is for moving my groups' emails into this.
It supports something like cascading mails, if an email from a friend in that group is replied by other group members then there will be like (2) sign after the title of the message. In short it is a bit similar to forums, and hence you can regard each message in your inbox as one thread.

If I use it in other mailing websites, each postings is considered as one message and when you read the message replying previous message you might have to search for it again, scroll it down and try to remember what it mentions before scrolling up and getting the meaning and replying it. It does help me so much =D

One thing a bit annoying is

this page. It's loading page which sometimes takes only 1 - 2 seconds but most times it takes more than 5 seconds !! And sometimes when my internet gets into trouble I even cannot open it. I think they should not have that loading page except gmail loads too many things, which I think might be the reason.

Other thing is the thread one. One thread contains a maximum of 100 messages. I hope it can support more.

And the good thing is that there is no navigation page (to other page) once you reply a message. You will immediately get your message below the message you reply. The other one is about the time duration, the system will automatically and continuously (and smoothly) updates the time duration of all messages from now, for example, posted 1 minutes ago, 10 minutes ago, 1 hour 1 day ago ago etc etc.

And I like it as there is almost no (or really no??) advertisements in it. Simple and not wasting time.

2. Facebook

Number 1 social networking sites right now in terms of users.

I get through Friendster for years before trying Facebook while searching for something new.

My impression at first is, hmm, well, maybe I have to get familiar with it, then second time, I try this thing, hmm ok2 I get it, second day, a week after, I may get addiction a bit, a month after, and so on until now, and I do not need to think twice that this is simply
the WORST social networking site that is much populated.

Many friends got into it and I tried. From the first I thing it's me who is fool enough for getting confused of good features in it. Yeah it does really have many good features, but those really enforce me to stay with it for such a long time, and unfortunately it serves too many unimportant things.

Sorry to say that it is really bad both technically and socially. Ya I really feel the bad impact of it, some of you may think I'm somehow get it wrong but I does not like it from the first and now I admit that I'm not wrong.

Let's see one by one
STATUS

Why do Facebook really bother of others status?
It's the page you see after login and it's the HOME page.
You will see many information inside those NewsFeed tab.
It's something like My Network Activity in Friendster, but here is better, it provides more detail information and sort it by latest time.

Then as I see that page everyday for hundred times I start to realize how bad it is. You will see the sophisticated things inside NewsFeed but once scoll down, it's really like a huge can of garbage.
There are too many things inside,
information of your friends changing status,
adding new videos or pictures,
adding new notes,
x number of your friends are tag in an album or a video,
one of your friend commented on other friends' videos or photos or notes or changing status or walls or whatever comments you needn't know,
your friends are now friends with xxx through ..... ,
even there are advertisements!!!

Why I say garbage? Facebook does not need an expert to see how it seems a garbage, you can see clearly how not important those information are.
Well, your friends change their status, then what do you need to know? They are your friends but how if you have 500 friends, 1000 friends? In one time it attracts you to add more friends (what I say "your friends are now friends with ..." but at the same time you will get a bunch of information of that one new friend each time he/she add a photo or get comments etc etc etc etc. Whereas you might not be so close with that new friend.

There is some tab "Status Updates" but still, in this NewsFeed, they combine the whole things and the result is that garbage..
The same as this announcements, it is labeled RED to force me to click on it to see some important and some rubish information and click it once more to close it. And this happens each time I login to facebook.
In top right corner there are a box similar to this but contains some different and some the same information. It's even worse, I have to click on it and navigate to other page and am enforced to read all of information, whether accept friend request (this is important), accept application, accept (whatever) from (whoever friends) of (whatever) applications <-- this one is the worst thing of Facebook. If I ignore it, the things will accumulate and I cannot get rid of it. Again, I have to do this each time login to facebook. At least 10 seconds gone only for things I do not want to. And as I use this many times per day, those annoying 10 seconds are really terrified. Same thing happens when you see your PROFILE, inside your WALL you will again see the rubish. And one of them is...
yeah, I really call it rubish.. And my PROFILE page is really a garbage full of rubish.

That is FRIENDS page and they sort it by default in STATUS UPDATES and I have to click on EVERYONE to see all my friend. I do not know why I get so annoyed to many things but, they sort FRIENDS by last name, and for me, personally, this is really annoying. I see my friends' name by first name, then middle, then last, but they sort it by last name.

Next is about the application..
That box is put on the top rows because it is the main difference of Facebook from others. Yeah it does have many good applications, from games to other applications :)
I like that some applications do not need to navigate each time you click something (like browser gaming does), so it is fast enough, although it need a long time for loading, but when you get into you will play freely without any disturbance or any unnecessary waiting.

However some applications are really disturbing like this

If I'm a beginner, I will surely be shocked by a number of strange buttons, and the bad thing is, the BIGGEST button and the most apparent one is NEXT (in this one example) and you will need long time to notice that it is an ADVERTISEMENT!! How come there is an advertisement in the middle of the box of one application?

Sometimes I'm thinking, they want me to get into that application but they OFFER me other applications, so what they want me to do?

In that example there is chat room provided by meebo..

Wow, I cannot imagine how many of advertisements I have seen after I log out. Don't forget that there are still a bunch of other advertisements inside each applications.

Other things..
When you post a comment, it needs very much less time compared to others, hmm, like friendster for example. And, err, I think still much faster than Gmail.

You can also chat through Facebook. I think that's a really wonderful idea..

You can know ANY things your friends just done, but you cannot know ANY things about other people not yet your friends, except only one photo and several main information. Each time I want to know whether that one is my friend or not, I have to judge by its photo and very limited information, or I have to add him first regardless my friend or not. And each time facing this I always reminded of leaving facebook, although there are many good features it has.

Other than applications, Facebook is really fast in navigating through one page to another page.


3. Friendster

Number is very sensitive to human eyes (according to my thought lol) and for having no numbers in it, I do not feel annoyed by those NEW bulletins or apps. I leave them each time I see that (except birthdays and messages) and if it keeps accumulating it does not matter at all.

Compared to facebook that has numbers, you will think of decreasing the number, feeling a bit guilty for leaving it accumulating, but you already know that you really do not need that things.

Again, sorry for comparing, the difference between Facebook and Friendster.
But in this case I prefer Facebook lol
This features make me think many times before browsing to special friends (either enemies or not known people etc).

When I clicked My Profile I can see the HOME page of mine which I can edited myself.
When I put my cursor on it there will be other options, and one feature I like is : Blogs !!
If I do not want to play any applications, I will NEVER click MyApps tab there except I want to.
In MyTools options there, hmm, I think Facebook is much more complete !



Facebook makes me want to get rid of NewsFeed but Friendster does not attract me at all to see its MyNetworkActivity feature. Both have their own uniqueness but I choose Friendster's MyNetworkActivity.

No comments: